XAB Toolkit – A New Ajax Toolkit using Mozilla, SOAP, PHP and MySQL

The XAB toolkit allows developers to build robust applications with Mozilla, SOAP, PHP and MYSQL. It is free software and released under the GNU GPL.

Zachary Kessin writes:

I have built a toolkit for building Ajax applications. I created the XAB toolkit with the goal of automating as much as posible of the building of an AJAX application. Curently it can generate a good chunk of the database service code on the server side and a fair amount of client side glue so that when done calling a PHP method via AJAX wil be just like calling any other javascript function. XAB is free software and you can download it fromhttp://www.kessin.com/XAB/Download_XAB. Right now it uses SOAP as its transport so it only works with Mozilla and firefox, but I am trying to add IE support as well. It

I have also created an Ajax wiki, http://www.kessin.com/XAB/ It is mostly for XAB right now, but I would be very happy if other AJAX toolkit developers wanted to use it as well. I would also like for it to be a general place to talk about AJAX development.

Links: XAB Toolkit and XAB / Ajax Wiki

7 Responses to XAB Toolkit – A New Ajax Toolkit using Mozilla, SOAP, PHP and MySQL
  1. jeff
    September 19, 2006 | 8:29 am

hello there,
    i am trying to reproduce a data server that a company uses to present information to its customers via the web. No problem. What they are using right now is Microsoft Access, connecting via ODBC to a server on line. The cool thing that they can do is have several tables linked together. Like if a certain field is updated in one table, it updates the same info automatically in another table. So, i want to reproduce this in MySQL, but i can’t seem to find out how. Is there a way to pull this off on the server side ? or does that have to be done on the client side ?
    thanks for any tips.

2. mortgage calculator
    May 8, 2006 | 6:38 pm

In Seattle it is illegal to carry a fishbowl or aquarium onto a bus because the sound of the water sloshing may disturb other passengers

3. Mohan
    January 24, 2006 | 6:40 am

Dear Sir/Madam,

I work for Packt, a publishing company

based in the UK. I was conducting a search for AJAX and PHP community today

and I came across your site, which I think is an excellent resource for the

AJAX community. I was wondering whether you would be interested

in featuring details of our book on AJAX and PHP: “Building Responsive Web Applications with AJAX and PHP.”

on your news section

You can read more about this book here: http://www.packtpub.com/ajax_php/book

If you’re interested in the book, I can courier you a free hard copy of this Book for reviewing

as soon as it is released at your mailing address.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

4. Anonymous
    December 13, 2005 | 10:06 am

A good blog, full of interesting, quality content can reach the top Google and Yahoo positions very quickly – check out pacific poker. If your page has links to your website within it, then you can guarantee that this will boost your website’s search engine ranking as well.

5. Zachary Kessin
    May 10, 2005 | 3:50 am

XAB Version 0.20

I would like to announce version 0.20 of the XAB Toolkit. XAB version 0.20 is a major upgrade to the software and it will automate a large amount of software development in an Ajax database front end. In tests yesterday I was able to create an interface to a database in about 15 minutes with no coding.

Included in version 0.20
    * Ability to have multiple detail forms
    * Ability to have Foreign key fields shown as a menu or a form or both
    * Ability to add, delete or change the order of fields.
    * Automatic creation of page navigation
    * Smarter including of Javascript code
    * Expanding textarea boxes.
    * A menu editor

Also a large number of smaller features and bug fixes.

You can Download XAB from the Ajax Wiki

XAB requires PHP version 5.0x and MySQL version 4.1. It also requires Mozilla or Firefox to use.

Cross posted to and

6. Zachary Kessin
    April 18, 2005 | 5:13 am

It doesn’t do XUL yet, but Its on the to do list. I should have a new version out this week that will add a bunch more relational functions and a lot of other fixes.

7. Daniel O'Connor
    April 17, 2005 | 9:31 pm

Nifty! This + XULRunner = thin AJAX applications on the *desktop*, not the web browser. That’s pretty darned cool.